Saturday, October 13, 2012

SUPER SOUPS

It's fall weather finally. It has to be the wind blew th umbrella out of the picnic table! The noise scare me to death! lol


I rarely buy soup from a can. I usually keep cream of mushroom for casserole base incase I am in a hurry, chicken noodle for medicinal purposes, and a few tomato. The cost of soup has risen and I want fifty cents a can. I see it at .79 this week at Safeways. Sometimes it is a little lower at WinCo. I do buy tomato roasted red pepper soup at Costco when they have it. It is like 4.00 or more at the regular stores. Costco has it for about two. It comes in a box. I find some box soups at grocery outlet, but never tomato.

I fix the box of soup with chopped tomatoes, basil, and blue cheese. Sometimes I add a little half and half depending on how many I am feeding.

Sausage bean soup is a really quick crock pot soup.

I have posted this before.

Sauté veggies. I use onion, celery and carrot and sometimes red pepper if I have it. I cut them in small pieces. Sauté until they are so what soft.

Add veggies to the crackpot with :

3 cans of assorted beans , RINSED.
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
2cups broth ( chicken, beef, or veggie)

2 T Italian seasooning, 1tsp garlic powder

1/2 pound sausage crumbles, cooked and defatted.

Cook on low 8-10!hours or on high for 4-6.

Note. Rinsing the canned beans makes a great difference on the amount of sodium that you get from the can of beans.

If I have fresh garlic I tomit the garlic powder and add the garlic to the veggies last during the sauté.


You can vary the recipe to be vegetarian by omitting the sausage and using vegetable stock.
You can add hamburger instead of sausage. I haven't tried it with ground turkey since my husband doesn't like it.

Beans are something that I buy canned. Unless you have the time to cook beans and use them the same day, beans and rice have a really short fridge life. They are the two things that spoil rapidly. I rarely have the time.

If you get canned beans on sale, the cost is the same. I would prefer 50 cents a can, but the 15 for ten dollars is 67 cents. Pretty close.

Don't forget,
Split pea soup...a matter of minutes in the pressure cooker

cream based soups, broccolli, carrot,asparagus etc, a Good way to use the last of a vegetable or the stalks of the broccoli.Potato soup, corn chowder.


Clam or seafood chowder

Beer or cheese soups

Pick the canned soup that you like the best, dialect it and make it from scratch.

Thanks for stopping by
Please share with Facebook or twitter. The more drop down at the top of the page has a link.

Jane





No comments:

Post a Comment