Monday, October 15, 2012

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

A few days ago, I wrote about the angelhair pasta dish on "The Chew". Their cost was
.97. I think that those were NYC prices. Let's do the math and see an alternative that would have some protein and fit the 4+1=5 model.

Angel hair pasta/ spaghetti. .88
Olive oil-*
Parma- ** .50
Garlic *
Parsley- use dry unless you have it in your garden. It grows quite prolific I'm the nw.

* I don't usually price oil and spices when I cost out a recipe. I count them when I post my food expenses, but they are too minimal of cost to figure.

** I buy a hard cheese as an alternative at Costco. It is twelve dollars for a large wedge. My best guess is that it cost about .50. That would mean that I got 24 servings from the wedge. I use a micro plane to grate it.

The total without spices is 1.38.

You could add Roma tomatoes that have been seeded, and cut into a small dice.

And then either chicken small chunks ( cooked) or halved shrimp.
If I was using the shrimp, I would cook it in the oil and garlic. Then add the tomatoes at the last so they don't overcook.

If you use chicken, put it in at the last minute for the pasta to warm it up. Take it out and let it get to room temp while you cook the pasta, or heat it a little in the microwave.

The chicken would cost about 1.67. ( a third of a 5 pound chicken ( breast meat)
The shrimp would cost 2.50 for 1/2 a pound.

Tomato costs .50 (1/2 lb )

Total cost for chicken 3.55
Total cost for shrimp 4.38

1/2 head lettuce .50, dressing .20 or
(Broccoli 1.00)
Bread .89

Total chicken dinner 5.14 or 5.44
Total Shrimp dinner 5.97 or 6.27

Both of these alternatives would come in close enough to average 5 buck meals.

Many recipes can be made inexpensive just by omitimg an expensive Ingredient and
Substituting an alternative and still not change the integrity of the dish.

Romano can be a substitute for parmesan.
Celery can be a substitute for leeks.
Dry herbs can substitute for fresh ones. You can grow some fresh herbs year round.

Think texture, taste, and food value when making a substitution.


Check out:
Smokey chicken and potatoes ( family circle sept 2012. ) probably on line
Also meat ball lasagna.

Thanks for stopping by
Please share with Facebook or twitter.

Jane










No comments:

Post a Comment