Tuesday, August 6, 2013

500 blogs!

This is 500 blogs. We finally had our pork chops yesterday. My husband cooked the, on the BBQ. I picked peas and tomatoes from the garden and cooked peas and made a salad. My daughter baked potatoes. The baby supervised along with taking her stuffed dog for a walk between the kitchen and the back deck! LOL.

Someday, I will get my act together and photo journal a weeks worth of foods. We really do at normal food for 75.00 a week, and stock. I would estimate that we eat about 60.00. We are stockpiling more than usual. I'm hedging against still higher drought prices and the lack of business revenue if loose my venue.

I have a cookbook from the 70's that I have added to through the years,m I am starting a new one from the Betty Crocker e mails that I get and from the numerous magazines I have been getting at the goodwill. I can have a lot of inspiration from a .50 magazine. Many of the new recipes call for boxed or premise ingredients. Most of them can be altered to use scratch ingredients. I buy a few ready mades, but usually steer clear of anything that can be made scratch cheaper. Beans and rice have a short fridge life. I usually don't have time to cook beans from scratch and cook a batch of soup in the same day. If I get canned beans cheap enough, they are the same price as cooking them from scratch. I would rather not take the chance of food poisoning. I usually have leftover soup, so we are stretching the holding time.

One way to stretch your food dollar is to use plentiful produce in the summer in unusual ways. We had chocolate zucchini cake at a family picnic earlier in the month. The lady had put chocolate chips in it. It was really good.
I posted zucchini recipes in an earlier post last week. I am getting a lot of tomatoes on our plants, so far not
all of them are ripe in spite of the fact that we are having a really hot summer for a change.

Corn Potato pancakes

2 cups leftover mashed potatoes made with butter and milk.
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn, mashed up
1 egg, slightly beaten
3 T onion, chopped fine, or grated, pinch of dried parsley
Salt, garlic and pepper.

Combine ingredients. Fry 1/4 cup portions on vegetable oil 1-2 minutes in each side until browned.


Corn Dip

6 medium ears corn on cob, grilled 10-12 minutes, remove from cob.
1/2 onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
2 T butter
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup plus 2 T sour cream
1/2 tsp chili powder
8 ounces jack cheese, grated
1-1/4 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 can sliced ripe olives

1) sauté the onion and pepper until tender. Add corn and garlic and cook another minute. Take off heat.

2) in large bowl combine mayo, sour cream and chili powder. Stir in corn mixture, cheese and cooked chicken.

3) Pour into a greased 2 quart baking dish.

Bake, uncovered @ 400 degrees 25-30 minutes.
Garnish with black olives.

Serve with tortilla chips.

Chips can be made from tortillas. There is a way to do it with cooking spray in the oven and reduce the fat, but I can't remember the particulars. Corn or flour tortillas, and for how long? Anyone remember???


Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment