Friday, August 9, 2013

Savings ???? And shoreline top alert. Now 40 percent!

I just downloaded the women's day magazine. I thnk they are somewhat misrepresenting themselves on the covers . This is the second time I have been postured to learn a big savings idea and had to look really hard to find the article they were tempting you to buy the magazine for.LOL. I always get my 2.00 worth out of the magazine. Then, I pass the reader to my daughter to read.


The September issue has a really good recipe for oat snack bars, it calls for honey,something that my granddaughter and I can't have, but I have a food substitute book, so I can adjust it accordingly.

The save money on food tease on the front cover was recipes at 1.50 a plate for dinner. Looking at the recipes, they are probably right on the pricing some of the time. The shrimp dish sounds really good, and it is probably right. The chicken legs and thighs with zucchini is probably too high. Mi for chicken parts for 1.49 , I have got them for as low as a buck, and zucchini here is often free or as much as .69 cents a pound. I would bet I could make that recipe for under five bucks for four people. Vegetables a d eggs should come in for less than five too.,

I can only judge by the food prices in our area. I find the cheapest I can.


I read a magazine article while I was in the doctors office today. Basically ten ways to save at the grocery store,they said things in different ways. But basically they said the same things that I have said for years. The only thing that I don't actually agree with is that you will pay more with a card. I use my debit card. We don't carry cash, it is too hard to track and too easily spent for junk. I do know that paying with a credit card can get you in trouble unless you are really disciplined and pay it off every month.
Maybe that was what they were talking about. They did stress the importance of going to several stores, and not buying your non food items at the grocery store. You, can by contrast, save of you buy food at the drug store. They don't carry lots of food, but they are selective on what they do carry. So it's usually cheaper! Again, you have to know your prices.

Today we went to the dollar store. All they had in the recipe starter end cap was tomato. My husband likes sunflower seeds and salami and pepperoni. I did not have a pepperoni coupon. I did have a hefty slider bag coupon and got an special box so I got 15 instead of 13 bags; basically getting one free. I got free bic stick pens. We go through a lot of pens, and a lot of pens for work. I got 30 pens for free. You can't use more than two coupons per item at the dollar store. I got one package at SAFEWAYS and two at the dollar store. Pudding cups were buy two, get 1 free at SAFEWAYS and I had a coupon. A,real easy way to get calcium into someone that won't drink milk. Berry Crocker cake mixes were on a coupon for .99 and I could stack another coupon to make them closer to .50 instead of 1.50. All those dollars add up. Again I average about six bucks a week on coupon sales alone. Some weeks are more.

I save about 50 percentage the store, and I save by selective meal planning as well. We are still well under USDA stats for the actual food consumed. We have a large stockpiled And I usually pay half price for anything I can. Some things just never go on sale. Fortunately they are things we don't have to have often.


I write this blog to try to help people get the tools they need to cut their food bill, either because they have to, or because they want to. I started it because I heard that some people on SNAP were running out of money before they ran out of month. I really am not getting enough feedback to see if those are the people I am helping, but Imcan tell that I am helping some people by my stats! I just found a join button on my blog. You have to know technology is not my strong suit, Typing on a I pad isn't either LOL.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane





No comments:

Post a Comment