Thursday, August 8, 2013

Terrific Thursday

I just got an e mail from QFC about their save 5 on 5 . That's a buck an article and there are coupons that match up to some of them. There are actually some real food in them--cheeses yogurt , etc.

http://kroger.softcoin.com/programs/kroger/winlist/content/shopping_list.pdf

A buck an article plus a buck coupon would make for a sweet deal. You can stack mega deals, you can't stack electronic coupons.

I made chocolate zucchini bread from a taste of home recipe. It called for 1/4 tsp baking powder, I think it was a typo, or my bakingnpowdernismold because I got chocolate zucchini brownies! Taste good, but not quite what I expected. There's a recipe for peach bread. Peaches are a buck a pound.

I have been trying to use up some of the stockpile and the vegetable garden. Last night we had sirloin tips , mashed potatoes and peas and carrots out of the garden. Yum!


linguine with clam sauce

3T butter
1T olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
4 tsp chopped garlic

1 pkg linguine, cooked and drained
1 can minced clams
1 can of sliced mushrooms
1/2 Tao dried basil
3 T lemon juice
1/4 cup sour cream
1 T cornstarch
Parsley to garnish


Start the linguine cooking

Combine butter and oil in a large saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender.
Add undrained clams, mushrooms and basil. Toss with drained pasta. Combine in a bowl, lemon juice, sour cream, cornstarch and blend . Add to saucepan and stir until it bubbles and thickens. Pour over pasta and
Toss.

Notes: I combine butter and olive oil often. While making white sauce especially. The butter doesn't burn as fast, it adds flavor and the olive oil makes the dish more healthy than just using butter.

A can of clams for four people is probably not enough protein. That's when I make cheese bread to go with and add a pudding or another desert that adds more protein. I would add a hard cheese for garnish .


Thanks for stopping by.

Please share

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment