Saturday, August 10, 2013

Follow me ..... Step one: planning

I just found a new thing on my blog....follow me.... So I invite you to follow me.


For anyone new, I started the blog a year ago when it came to my attention that some people on SNAP were running out of money before they ran out of month. It is my opinion that no child should be subjected to the insecurity of waking up to no food in the house. And, no child should have a diet of top ramen and potato chips. My mother had the idea that no child should have to wear hand me down shoes. She did something about it: she started a fund to buy school shoes for needy children at the school. This is my attempt to do something about people not having enough food at the end of the month. I can't help everybody, but I can help people make better decisions at the store, so they can still have food in the pantry at the end of the month. I can give people the tools,what they do with them is their call.

What has come if it is that a lot of people like the time saving tips, some like the recipes , and some like the saving idea. I have no clue if I am reaching anyone on SNAP.

The basic idea of groceries on the cheap is to never pay full price for anything. I learned that from my mother, she even negotiated the interest rate on car loans with the bank. She used to say that if you went in looking like Lady asters pet horse, like you didn't need it, you would do better. One time, she went in and they quoted her a high interest rate, she said, if you are going to charge me that much,I'm better off to just take the money out of savings and buy the car. The banker said he didn't know she could do that and gave her a lower interest rate.

groceries n the cheap is based on a three disciplined approach.

1) planning and organizing
2) Careful shopping
3) cooking from scratch.

PLANNING AND ORGANIZING

Like any project you endeavor, having a plan makes it better. You wouldn't dream of building a house without a plan, or going on a vacation. Most people plan their days.
Some of the planning you could have already done. A lot of it is a one time chore. When you are up and running, it will probably take you less time to shop and cook dinner than it does now. The added advantage is that you will not run out of food before you run out of month and you will pay less for it. 1/2 price food for the average family means about four thousand dollars in the bank.

The USDA has stats on line to give you a benchmark of what it it should cost for your family for food. It is based on the ages of your family members, and it has several income levels. I am dealing with the lowest level of income. It is harder to spend less on food, than it is to spend more! LOL. this is a whole new approach to how you buy food. Don't let this overwhelm you, take one step at a time.


Step one :

Identify the inexpensive sources of protein that your family will eat. Meat should be less than 2.75 a pound.
In our house that would be:

Eggs, cheese, beans and rice, good ground beef, pork, chicken, and some beef cuts. It is harder with the drought prices this year.

Step two:
Identify 7-14 main dishes that use that source of protein. Pick things that your family will eat! Fourteen is better so that you don't burn out on eating the same thing. I do know that most kids would eat pizza and burritos seven days a week. LOL. Bear in mind dinner for four should cost five bucks. Total, not per person.

Step three:

Make a list of shelf ready items you need to cook these dishes. These are your staple items. In our house that would be pasta, pasta sauce sauce, beans, refried beans, diced tomatoes, black olives, some tuna, some salmon, some chicken noodle soup and some chili and some green beans and corn.

Step four|
Make a list of your most frequently used staple items, there should be about 10-15 max.
Now, set up a notebook or spread sheet that tracks the prices of these items.

Pasta

Date, where purchased, coupon? Final price

You are looking for the rock bottom price on that item.
you are going to stockpile that item. Stockpiling an item is NOT HOARDING. Stockpiling is buying your staple items at their cheapest price and buying enough to last you until they go on sale again. This is not a new concept. Our grandmothers put up fruits and vegetables from the farm to last them through the winter. People that play the stock market buy low and sell high. You are just buying low and eating high. Buy when the food is at a low price and keep enough to last you until the next sale. Sales run on a 8-12 week cycle. I keep 24 of something that I use once a week; I keep 6 of something I use once a month. I keep one ahead of things like mayo, mustard and ketchup. When I open the back up jar, I start looking for a sale. I don't want to be in the middle of something and have to run to the store, that wastes time and gas and I am prolly going to pay top dollar for my product.

Don't try to stock everything all at once. When you find a good sale, buy six or so. It is bad manners to clear the shelf unless there is only six or so left. Leave some for the next bargain hunter.

Use coupons when they match up with a good sale. Only use coupons they are something you would buy anyway or need. I always watch for toothpaste coupons. . Most of the time I get toothpaste free. You can't be brand sensitive, but you can get sensitive toothpaste. I never stray from that idea unless it is something new and is free or almost free. Ready made items have to cost less than scratch ; that doesn't happen to frequently. Scratch is better for you.


Stay timed for the next segment !

Thanks for stopping by

Please share and follow .

Jane









No comments:

Post a Comment