- Basic oatmeal. Good old Quaker oatmeal in a bulk box (Costco) or a round carton. Dover, nutrition. Takes, I longer than a instant package and is more nutritious, It takes like three packages of the instant stuff to have the same nutrition as one 1/2 cup portion of "real" oats. 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oats, 1.1/2 minutes in the microwave. Use a bowl larger than you need, somerimes it tends to boil over. Breakfast, cookies, breakfast cookies, banana bread
- Carrots. Plan old fashioned carrots. Most of the time they are 1/2 the price of baby carrots and they use bleach to process the baby carrots.
- Flour. Bought in bulk it can be as low as .08 a cup. If you price bisquick, cake mixes, bread, or pancake mixes, flour is a real bargain.
- Eggs. A powerhouse of protein for a few cents an egg. Very versatile. The RDA for protein is 6 ounces that include eggs,
- Potatoes. Another versatile ingredient that is soo much cheaper than the frozen counterparts. Potato soup, clam chowder, baked potato bar, oven fries 🍟 (no trans fat) mashed potatoes.
Thursday, May 18, 2017
Thursday bullets -5 basic ingredients
Ten things that are food bargains