Saturday, January 7, 2017

3.69 left

It's been two week  in no spend January .  I started right after Christmas.    I have 3.69 left of a 25.00 a week budget for perishables.   I did buy ten pounds of flour with that.

We are going to have nachos tonight for dinner.    QFC ( Kroger) is giving away nacho chips this week.   I will make some refried beans and pull taco meat from the freezer.   We have grape tomatoes 🍅 and cheese and peppers.  Sour cream.   I still have sour cream from before and cranberries, so I'll make another batch of cranberry bread.

Tomorrow's meal is breakfast for dinner and I have English muffins and pork sausage thawed.    I'll make sausage patties while I am in the kitchen.  

Planning m als makes things more efficient,   The more efficient you are, the easier it is to make dinner when you aren't in the mood or life throws you a curve ball.  

We are still under five dollars a dinner.    Some dinners are well under five dollars.    Last nights dinner was pretty much gleamed from other dinners.    The flour tortillas were left from the dollar taco kit that we used last week, the chicken 🍗 was left from the stock I made from rib bones left when I de-boned our chicken breast.   Tomato soup was made from one garlic clove, a carrot, and two cans of diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning,   Buying tomatoes with the seasoning in the, when you can saves time and money,    I added the chicken stock from the bones.   Total added ingredients was 1.50 for cheese and tomatoes.    None of that took much non passive time.

The more you cook, the faster you get at it.    I am on a mission to lower our food costs and still eat well balanced meals - protein, starch, and fruits and veggies.    It has worked for decades: don't  fix what isn't broken.  

Write  lists, make meal plans.   If things seem overwhelming, writing a list a list, prioritizing the list and work your way down the list.  It is one of the first things we learned in management school.   It works hard so you don't have to.  

Thanks for stopping by,   Fred Meyer ads later.








No comments:

Post a Comment