Friday, January 6, 2017

😇waste not, want not

One of the ways to s t r e t c h your food dollar is not to waste.  That seems like a given.    It just takes being mindful of what's in your fridge and what you can do with it.

Yesterday I made blueberry muffins for breakfast.   I was having a meeting at my house.    After that , I set out to think about dinner and assessing the fridge,   I had cranberries left from Christmas that needed  to be used up.   I searched in the search box on Betty Crocker  on line cookbook.  I have hundreds of cookbooks, but find myself looking at the on line cookbook when I need to use up something.

I found a cranberry bread recipe that used up not only the cranberries , but sour cream and and orange peel.    I had all of that.    I made it on my smaller loaf pans so that it would take less time to cook and save energy.   Making more  than one thing in succession saves energy costs because you are not preheating the oven multiple times.  I also made baked hard cooked eggs.   It's easy and makes perfect eggs every time.

We had chicken sandwiches and French fries for dinner with a fruit salad,  I used the orange that I had made orange zest with in the salad.  

 Tonight we are having homemade tomato soup and chicken quesadillas   .   I will use the soft taco shells  from the taco kit we had last week and the chicken left  from the bones  that I cooked when I de-boned chicken breasts.    The tomato soup calls for three cans of diced tomatoes, a carrot, and some chicken stock,   I have that from the chicken bones.

That's why planning your meals helps to stretch your dollars And why it's important to keep ahead of your fridge.

I am on a no spend January mission.   The goal this year is to eat well on less than we did last year.    Our medical insurance went up and it's been a brutal winter so far for the heat  bill.  Our social security did not go up one dime: they gave us a small raise and took it back for Medicare.    It's a challenge to put  good food on the table for less.   I am enjoying trying new recipes and the challenge, I always want to be learning something- it's how we grow at any age,     Our granddaughter is learning that food  doesn't come out of a box or a bag.    It a good thing for children  to learn.  






Last nights dinner. 




Homemade tomato soup and chicken quesedas.  









No comments:

Post a Comment