Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Bread - the staff of life.

I'm on a mission.   Please feel free to come along for the ride.
I started out years ago trying to feed my family on a dime.   Sometimes literally,    I can remember a day in the 70's that I bought a package of chicken necks and backs for a dime a pound .  I cooked them , gleamed the meat, and set out to make dinner,    I made noodles from scratch , made a filling from  with the chicken , white sauce and a few mushrooms chopped fine and some Parmesan cheese and rolled them up.  Literally made dinner from bits of what was in the house,  

I'm doing it now to teach another generation how to shop and eat balanced good food for less than four dollars  a day.   It's possible.  I have been doing it for years.    We eat well.    It's a growing experience.  I want it all: I want good food cheap, good food easily prepared without resorting to boxed stuff. And I want it healthy,   I can do this,   Healthy doesn't mean trendy to me.   It means low salt, sugar, saturated fat, no HFCS , the least  amount of hydrogenated oils I can deal with, and as much scratch cooking without preservatives I can make happen,   I don't want to sound my whole day on the kitchen,   It is not practical for most people,   I'm retired, but most people trying to eat on four dollars a day have active families and some have jobs.

I'm on a mission to provide easy, quick, good tasting, scratch meals on a tight budget.    Not everyone reading this is trying to live on a four dollar  a day budget : but many are trying to eat less processed foods and don't want to live in the kitchen!

My focus lately is homemade bread,    Bread is expensive.   Homemade bread is cheap.   It all starts with the flour and yeast.   I set out this week to find the cheapest all purpose flour.   The cheapest I have found is 5.99 for 25 pounds at Costco,    The yeast seems to be cheapest at Costco too.    I don't have a Sams  club membership, so I don't know about them.

I started with pizza dough,   We were buying cheap pizzas and filling them with more ingredients.  They were still three dollars.   Pizza dough on sale is about 1.50.   With the lowest cost flour , pizza dough costs .17.   That is a remarkable savings--and it tastes better.   You can also make bread sticks out of the dough.  Easy, no rise,  

Pizza dough.   I make it in the food processor, but you don't have to.  

1) put 2 cups of all purpose flour in the bowl.   Add  3/4 tsp salt and 1-1/2 tsp rapid rise yeast. Blend just long enough to mix the ingredients- a few seconds.  

2) measure  6 ounces of 105 -110 degree (tepid) water in a glass measuring cup.  Add 2 tsp. Olive oil.

3) with the processor running, add the water mixture through the tube slowly.  Process just long enough for the dough to form a ball.

4) remove dough ball from bowl and on a floured surface add just enough flour to make the dough not be sticky.

5) place dough in a bowl that has some oil in it and turn the dough ball  over.    Cover and let rest 10 minutes or so.

This is a good time to gather your toppings.   I get pizza sauce (name brand ) from the dollar tree and freeze it in ice cube tray.  A couple of large cubes is enough for a pizza.  pizza cheese   is cheapest at Costco.    You can freeze it.

6) roll or pat  dough into desired shape and fill.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until dough is done and cheese is melted.   I use a cookie sheet and bake dough a few minutes before we fill it.

Hands on dough time is ten minutes or so.    Clean as you go and dinner is a snap.






No comments:

Post a Comment