Monday, January 16, 2017

Monday madness

it's kitchen management day.  This week, almost all of the meals are hands on the day of dinner.  I did cook themchocken for chicken enchaladas and I made a new recipe in the insta pot that my daughter gave me,  I adjusted  it for the ingredients I had .  Many times it is easier to use taco seasoning when the spices that a recipe calls for are the same as taco seasoning,    I usedmwhite rice so I cooked it a little shorter time.  I can always cook it a little more.  

Yesterday , we had Belgian waffles, strawberries, and bacon for dinner.    Breakfast for dinner.    I cooked the rest of the batter so we can have waffles for breakfast a few mornings.  

Homemade spice  mixes take just a few minutes and don't have to be made often,  they save a lot of money over buying them on a packet.   Even if you find them at a discount store, they are pricy.  
We eat a lot of Americanized Mexican food and Italian food.   Other than that, comfort food of the 50s  and 60s that has been revamped to be a bit healthier is a hit.  

I am trying to make bread with several recipes in order to find the most efficient and best tasting bread,   When you buy flour in bulk, the cost of a pizza crust or a loaf of crusty bread becomes a fraction of what it costs to buy in the store,    If you are home already, themactuak time soent making bread is not much.    Most of the time involved is passive time.  

The other thing I am working in is to develop new recipes .   More scratch, less premade.   Again, I want fast and easy,    The object is to try new things ( it's good for your brain function ) and avoid premade that is more expensive most of the time and has more preservatives.    A few things are just not cheaper  or not convenient to make scratch; but, most things are  better, cheaper, faster.   

Assuming that most of us have a limited time to soending in the getting the food in the table train, choosing to spend more time planning meals and planning your shopping trip and less time cooking will benefit the family with better, cheaper, faster meals.   






No comments:

Post a Comment