Friday, October 4, 2013

And life goes on

This all started back in the 70  's when we had double digit inflation and I found myself a single parent.  We were in a recession, and I didn't get a raise in three years.  Rarely did I get child support.
I cut everything I could cut.  I shut off the heat I some rooms, turned the dishwasher off after the rinse cycle and cut the newspaper.  I  had the cheapest car on the road, rationed my gas and washed my hair with dish soap.  When the 10 inch black and white tv with rabbit ears broke,  we listened to old radio.  When I was in an accident and the fender was rubbing on the wheel, my five year old and I tried to pull it away from the wheel with a hammer.  We both landed on our buts.  His contagious laugh made me forget that my buttwas bruised    until I got into bed that night!   LOL

I started reading everything I could get my hands on,  I tried anything that sounded like it might work.  Chicory in coffee and  liver.  Soy bean meat loaf----not so much.  I never could get soy beans soft.  I re sorted to TVP.  Through the years, I learned more and more and developed a plan that worked.  I am still learning.  My daughter and I went to a couponing class and I added a scaled down version to my plan.  I have finally got it so that we spend 1/2 price on food and eat well, and we have been for years.  I was interviewed by Woman's Day.  At the time the younger kids were teens.  I spent fifty dollars a week.  The woman asked me how old the children were.  I said teenage.  Then, she asked me if they were girls.  When I told her I had one of each, she said she was impressed.LOL

Of all this came 1/2 price groceries, groceries on the cheap. I started this blog when it came to my attention that some people were running out of money before they ran out of month on SNAP.  It is totally possible to eat well on full snap.  Snap is based on the USDA stats for thrifty cooking.  It is my understanding that the amount you get is based also on your income.  I feed three adults on about sixty dollars a week and am still building a stockpile.

I have found that some people reading my blog read it to get a new recipe to keep their dinners fresh. Some do it to find easier, faster ways to get out of the kitchen!  Whatever you can get from my blog, I am glad you are reading.

I suspect that some people read it once and say OMG you have to work at it!   I am not going to tell you that some little elf is going to instantly make dinner appear on the table.  Does anyone remember I dream of genie?  once you get set up and get the hang of ot, it actually takes less time to get dinner from the grocery store to the table.

Groceries on the cheap takes a three-disciplined   approach .

Planning and organizing
Smart shopping
Cooking from scratch

More tomorrow

Thanks for stopping by
Please share

Jane



No comments:

Post a Comment