Monday, October 14, 2013

The reason for living

I am a firm  believer that the only right we have is the right to be useful.  We didn't play when we were kids, we worked.  A lot of toys were not in my mothers budget plan.

I started this blog because I was asked to.  There were people that couldn't make it on food stamps, and  needed help.  I couldn't individually help each one, but thought I could help more people by writing a blog.

I have fallen on the dark side of broke before in my life and found ways to stretch a buck on food.  I can supply good, nutritious meals for about 1/2 the USDA statistics for thrifty plan.

It is my belief that no child should be eating watermelon and corn for dinner, nor should they exist on top ramen and potato chips., I know that is the extreme, but there are kids in that position.  Also, no child should have the insecurity of no food in the pantry.  That is a terrible  injustice in a country that can send aid to third world countries.  We need to take care of our own too.

You can eat well on full food stamps, but it takes some work and know how.  Unfortunately or fortunately , depending on how you look at it, I learned how by necessity.I wasn't in food stamps, but it would have helped if I had been.

This blog is my way of passing my knowledge  on to people that want and or need it.

I don't need remarks from minimalists that believe one should have a six digit income belief system on a lower five digit income.  Yes, my plan requires that we have a stock.  I believe the Mormons think the same thing.  I don't think that all the Mormons are wackos for stocking for an emergency,  it's called being self sufficient. My main objective is to never pay full price on the items I use on a regular basis to cook for my family.

It's true that a three months supply should get someone  by, but if you are In a precarious position, like your job is shaky and layoffs or strikes  are looming, six is better.

My plan works.  I' m not imposing it on anybody.  Whether or not you use anything in this blog is up to you.  Like someone once said on their blog when someone was criticizing , if you don't like it, no one is twisting your arm to read it.

I do wish I could teach a class somewhere and reach the people that really need it especially since our politicians seem to think it is ok to cut wic and food stamps. I know people will be needy.

They don't teach home ec the same in schools anymore and there is a whole generation of people that  think  Dinner comes out of a box.  Not the most nutritious and cost effective way to make dinner.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane







1 comment:

  1. I so agree about teaching home ec in school - too many kids live in homes where food is McDonalds, Lunchables, processed and packaged. I worked for 20 years in a major metropolitan area school where I was in the lunchroom every day - even though kids qualified for school lunch, some would bring lunches chock full of sugar and salt.

    I am amazed by how well (and cheaply) one can eat when food is prepared from home - it kills me to eat out because I know I can make food at home that is just as good and at least half the cost.

    Thanks for your thoughts via this blog.

    ReplyDelete