Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Tuesday / recipe edition....almost free soup and more!

Ok, we all know it is Tuesday.  It's is taco Tuesday,  We had tacos already this week, but I guess we will live to tell about it.  Our spur of the moment chicken enchilada soup, added to the tacos, means when we could only find a Teriaki place for dinner last night, we had chicken three times in a row.  My husband just LOVES chicken !

ALMOST FREE  chicken soup!

4 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
3 bay leaves
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped

2 tsp garlic
1tsp olive oil

2 ounces mixed pasta ( the bottoms of the packages , or broken spaghetti.
Chopped or cubed chicken.

1) add chicken broth and water to pot, add veggies and bay leaf and bring to a boil.

2) reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes

3) add pasta and simmer 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is tender.

4) add cooked chicken and heat through.  ( if frozen, defrost on the microwave.

Notes :
I would serve with some grated parm, or other hard cheese.  I use the chicken bones to make stock.
So, the rest of the ingredients are about leftover stuff too, with the exception of the chicken.  A portion of chicken at RBP is a buck.  I would add any other leftover vegetables I had in the fridge that sounded good, maybe a pinch of poultry seasoning.

Maybe serve with cheese biscuits.  And a hearty desert.  Maybe apple crisp.

Thanks for stopping by

Please share

Jane

I will do the ads as soon as I get them.  When I was at rite aid, the spices. Were .88.   Has anyone seen spices cheaper????

Coupons out there for .50 off recipe starter and recipe starter is .50 at the dollar tree.  They will let you use two coupons.  it is cheaper than making white sauce from scratch.  They have basil and garlic sauces.  My daughter boiled  and drained max, poured the sauce in, added cheese and put it in a 350 ocean to heat through.  It was really good.  You can also add a bread crumb and hard cheese topping.
Or crushed tortilla chips.  Sometimes  I make Mac and cheese with all the little buts of cheese left in the cheese drawer.  I picked that up from a menu at a classy restaurant.  LOL

I wouldn't go miles to the dollar store for this, but our dollar store is next to one of the chain stores.  I go for the newspaper and any other necessity items that they have cheaper than elsewhere.  Frozen veggies are cheaper and you can get deodorant, soap, and toothpaste for free at times with coupons.

http://www.grocerycouponcart.com

Thanks again,
Jane


1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog from Non-Consumer Advocate! Thanks for being an encouragement. Will be reading back posts and future posts!!

    ReplyDelete